February 22, 2009

Resources and Races

by Suzy

Been digging out of the big backlog I racked up last month, when every spare moment was dedicated to running, or fundraising, or otherwise preparing for the Cure JM event and race in Carlsbad. And we're moving right on to the next thing, a fantastic dance party for kids - a fundraising event coming up on March 1. Our pals are doing the lion's share of the work (THANKS Dorinda, Bernadette, Becca, Kirsten, Amy, and everyone else!), but of course it adds to my load as well.

I'm out of town on a job at the moment (Bahamas!) and between the preparations to leave, the actual travel (loooong), the jet lag and a little tummy bug that accompanied me to the islands, I hadn't been able to really run. I tried a couple days ago, but pooped out. I was just depleted; no energy and no reserves.

I was finally able to pick it up again today, and around mile 3 I started thinking about resources, and how important it is to conserve them. A couple of days earlier, thanks to jet lag and a little parasitic visitor, I'd been left with none; I couldn't really run and it was a terrible feeling.

Then I started thinking about our upcoming event, the next race, and beyond. There is so much I want to do... but I do realize that I have to pace myself in this, just as I have to pace myself in running. And, just as in training for a long race, I have to pull in ALL my resources to get the job done. That's where you come in, my friends.

We are so blessed to have so many incredibly loving, supportive, action-oriented friends. Here's just a short list of what you have done to help us:

Way back in June, before running was even on the horizon, I sent out a simple email appeal, asking for support for Cure JM on Mielle's behalf. You all sent over $3,000 at that time.

In July, Dianne, Lisa and Jessi hatched a plan for a multi-family yardsale to raise funds for our medical expenses, as well as Cure JM. It grew into a huge community event, and dozens of friends helped - making lemonade, playing music, standing in the hot sun and haggling for hours on end... it was unbelivable. We raised over $5,000 and the accompanying newspaper articles increased awareness about JM.

In January, of course, I ran the Carlsbad Half Marathon, something I never, ever thought I would do. Again, friends were there beside me - Kirsten, Steph, Nicole and (in spirit) Claudia. As you probably know, we raised over $16,000 for Cure JM!

In short, we've done a lot, and we've had a TON of help from dozens and dozens of people.

I don't plan to stop fundraising efforts anytime soon, and at the same time, I want to use my resources (YOU!) wisely and respectfully.

So, here is my pledge: I won't stop asking for the help that is critical to improving the lives of Mielle and the other children with JM... but I promise to make the process as fun, entertaining, and inspiring as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment