April 29, 2009

Meet Barb!

by Barb, posting from Seattle, Washington

This shot was taken just after I got home from a 5 mile training run. Many of you know that I've joined Suzy and the other "Mama Joggers" who are raising money for the Cure JM Foundation. I'm registered for the See Jane Run Half Marathon in Alameda, CA on May 31, and have been training since the beginning of March. I'm also registered as part of a team for the Hood-to-Coast Relay at the end of August.

I've done similar events in the past, like the Marine Corps Marathon in 1998 to raise money for the Whitman Walker Clinic in DC, and the MS150 ride a couple of years ago. But this event is personal on so many levels and it would mean so much to me to have your support.

Mielle, the daughter of our good friends Suzy and Lenny, is afflicted with a rare autoimmune disease for which there is no cure. I had the privilege of getting to know Mielle when she was just a little baby. During my summer in San Francisco during law school, I always looked forward to leaving the cold foggy city behind and heading over to sunny Alameda. I would get to take long walks with Mielle in the sling, and read and play with her. I recall one afternoon Suzy came into the room laughing and asked why I always had such a goofy voice while reading to and playing with Mielle. I didn't have an answer other than it was worth looking and sounding like a goof to my adult friend in exchange for the wonderful smiles and responses I would get from Mielle.

So when we learned about Mielle's suffering, diagnosis and the devastating effects of her treatment, I was deeply saddened and felt helpless. But Mielle and her family weren't going to wallow in self pity. Instead they have gotten busy trying to raise awareness and funds for research to find a cure. Suzy's first run inspired me to get a new pair of running shoes and commit to two races this summer.

This is the point in the story where self doubt kicked in. It's been over a decade since I've done a running event, and in the interim I've had more knee surgeries and other health problems, not to mention the weight I put on in my 30s. I kept putting off that first training run, even though it was only a mile. If anything, law school teaches one to rationalize just about any point. For me, it was reasons for not going out for that first run (for others like former Bush administration lawyers, it was torture). Finally, I just did it. And to my great relief and surprise I did just fine and went further than a mile. Sure, I was winded immediately, and I won't be setting any time records. But I was moving, it felt good, and I knew I would be able to help Mielle, even if only in a small way.

Not all runs go well, and I'm bummed that I'm not there to train with the other Mama Joggers. But when I need motivation to make it to the next walk break, signpost or whatever marker I think of Mielle and her family and all that they must endure. And I'm inspired by the grit and grace by which they have responded. Then I know that I can and will make it to the next marker that I've designated to break up the training run into manageable chunks.

With your help, we can break up the fundraising goal into manageable chunks, and more importantly help find a cure and give Mielle and her family the hope and support they need. So please give what you can to Cure JM.

With much appreciation,
Barb

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barb! Nice to 'meet' you, and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Barb, welcome to the Team...looking forward to meeting you on the 30th!

    ReplyDelete