May 10, 2009

Nr. 11991 & friends

by Claudia

This weekend, we will be tackling our longest training-run before the actual race: 14 miles, according to the training-plan.
We haven't made the final decision on whether we should run the full 14, or rather keep it to 12.5, since Nicole and I weren't able to run 12.5 miles the last long-run weekend (we were both down with the flu, and have a little catching up to do).

Another reason is that some of us just want to savor the great feeling of running farther than we ever have before, and reserve that pleasure for the actual race-day, when we will hit the 13+ mile marker.

But what we DO know is that we have a super-fun course picked out (thanks to Nicole's GENIOUS idea): to mix it up a bit, we all signed up to run the infamous "Bay to Breakers" race in San Francisco (all the way across the City and through Golden Gate Park, from Embarcadero to Ocean Beach). And - no - we will not run naked, or fabricate a float, but it'll still be fun. The Bay to Breakers-course is 7.5 miles long, so basically, we'll get to run to our halfway-point in a crowd of totally fun people in costume, wearing a number and a timing-chip, pick up a medal at the finish-line, and then cruise along the Coastline and back for another 5 to 6.5 miles for desert.

A few days ago, my B to B race-package with my number-bib and timing chip arrived in the mail, and I realized that I am ready to take on this race...instead of shaking in my sneakers at the thought of the 14 miles, I just tacked the envelope onto my fridge, wearing a big-fat, anticipatory grin on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment