January 11, 2009

Humbled

by Suzy

It's early, it's dark. I've slept badly. We're running 14 miles today, and it's been on my mind for days. My last couple of short runs have felt hard, so what's 14 going to feel like? I'm GOING to do it, but I've been wondering just how uncomfortable it will be!

14 miles is longer than the actual 1/2 marathon, and it's the longest run in the training schedule. It will probably be the last time for quite a while that I will run a distance that is greater than I've ever run before. I'd been thinking that this would feel sort of sad, like a certain element of excitement to the whole running thing will be gone. And all along, I've been so happy about what a wonderful experience running has been, but also wondering just a little if I'm in some kind of "honeymoon" period - the excitement of something new - that would wear off.

So I was laying in bed awake, feeling nervous and wondering for the 100th time if my alarm had failed and I'd blown it. Then I started thinking I would just get up early and write about how I feel before this milestone. When I pulled up the blog page, I saw the little fundraising thermometer run all the way up to 93%. A new donation! I excitedly went to the FR page to check it out - and found it was from the Sherman family, with this: "We all decided to donate to Cure JM in honor of Mielle instead of getting gifts on the 8th night of Chanukah."

The Sherman family: Sherry, Jeff, Micah and Joshua. Joshua is one of Mielle's old preschool buddies. Sherry was one of the folks that stood in the blazing sun for hours haggling and selling mountains of donated merchandise when we had a fundraising yardsale over the summer. At that time, Micah and Joshua decided to donate their used toys for our yardsale, instead of holding one of their own and earning money for themselves. This is a lovely, generous, thoughtful, community-minded family.

Okay, people, I'm in tears now. I mean, honestly. That those boys would give up presents for Mielle... it's just too much.

All along I've had this sense that these friends who are running with me, and those who are supporting me in this effort, are so amazing because (after all) it's not even their kid that is sick. Now, I realize that I was wrong. Mielle may be my daughter, but she has found her way into the hearts of so many others, and she belongs to them as well.

So I say, thank you to everyone who has helped. And special thanks to the Sherman family, whose timely contribution will help inspire me get through the next 14 miles.

Now I gotta go brush teeth and get this party started. Don't want to leave the gals hanging at 6 am...

No comments:

Post a Comment