January 12, 2009

The Last But Not Least to Post...

by Stephanie

So I'm finally posting as part of this lovely group of women jogging for a JDM Cure....I don't have any unusual or compelling reasons why I haven't gotten around to it yet - just the daily life demands we all have in our own colors and flavors. We just logged our 14 mile run yesterday and I actually finished - hallelujah. Over the holiday break, I injured my ankle somehow while running and I hadn't really run in over 2 weeks. I was beginning to feel like the door was closing and I was going to get shut out of this activity and experience I had come to depend on. But then, in one of life's little twists, my ankle just stopped hurting and the door flew open and I went 14 miles.

For me, running is now not just about losing weight or getting fit. It's about things it was never about before - release and friendship, strength and good vibes, companionship and new places - all in a couple hundred or maybe thousand steps out the door. Not only do I get to feel good by helping a good friend, I get to make myself something I've never been - a real runner. I'm a single parent, so for me, these runs with my friends are the "How was your day" chats that serve as my reset button. And no matter how fast I run or how far I run, whenever I run with these women, I end up in a very good place....

No comments:

Post a Comment