January 3, 2009

Rain? What rain?

by Claudia

I may not be running the miles just yet, but I am getting my badass-points elsewhere these days (can you say "badass" on "the Internets"? I guess I just did): this morning, I got up for a 7 am run (well, I actually slept right through the alarm blaring until 7:45), got dressed and ready to head out before my husband had to go to work, all the while hoping that it would stop raining.

It just kept pouring more and more, and I was getting more and more grumpy at the thought of
a) having gotten up early for NO reason and
b) needing to run INDOORS on the treadmill, because I would otherwise have no daycare-options for the kids today

So then, while contemplating using the time to shop on the internet for a nifty little rainjacket, I decided that, really, nothing was stopping me from going out for a run.

So I dug up a stylish little waterproof potatosack-like poncho-thingie (size XL, and the equivalent of wearing a family-size tent, with no ventilation or anything) out of the bottom of the closet, threw it on and headed out the door.

After 2 blocks, I was completely drenched, water running out of my pantlegs, and gushing out of my shoes.

Since my glasses where totally wet and fogged up anyhow, I just shoved them up onto my head (car-shapes are large enough for me to be able to see, after all, and all I needed to worry about is not to be taken out in someone's driveway or while crossing the street) and kept going.
And - hey - I now could see the enormous puddles ahead of me BEFORE stepping into them (not that it wasn't already a wee bit late for that one).

Towards the end of my run, my rain-poncho was wet inside and out, and my ipod started freaking out from having gotten wet through the soaked through sleeves (the volume kept jumping from really quiet to deafeningly loud - the poor thing is sitting out to - hopefully - dry).

So there - I did it. 3 miles in the pouring rain, against headwinds, blind as a bat, and at 9.25 min/miles. I was just so happy I had gotten out after all. Nothing can stop us now.


1 comment:

  1. Badass is right! And look at that smile on your face... Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete