January 1, 2009

Spectator Sport

by Claudia
I have been doing a lot of "watching people run" lately: on the 9.5 mile run, my right knee started to give me some serious grief (it felt a lot like someone jamming an ice-pick into my right kneecap), so that I had to drop out after 5 miles or so.

But that's not really what I want to write about today: A few days before the beginning of Winter Break, I picked up Mielle and my daughter from School, and as we were about to leave, Mielle remembered that she had left her sweater on a bench across the schoolyard. Without hesitation, she turned around and ran - and I mean RAN - all the way across to the other side of the yard to retrieve it, and then promptly raced back. The best part was, that it was obvious she didn't give it a second thought.

I have not seen Mielle run in over a year now, and seeing this was the best gift I could have possibly received this Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. The simplest things are so wonderful to see. I pretty much cry at some point just about every day when I see her bound up the stairs, run across the schoolyard, or even laugh wholeheartedly. Love that kid so much.

    ReplyDelete