January 24, 2009

Race Day Eve

by Suzy

Wow, I can't believe that race day is here! The last week has been a blur... after we conquered 14 miles I kinda stopped thinking about the running part of things and concentrated on fundraising, making shirts, cards, etc., and the time flew by. Now, here we are, the night before the race.

We arrived in Carlsbad yesterday and have been busy attending Cure JM events, meeting other families, and learning more about the research that Cure JM funds. Very motivational, let me tell you. More about all of this later (some evening when I do NOT have a 5 am wake-up call).

But I will say that it has been moving, inspirational, heartbreaking, and uplifting -- all at the same time. For example... at dinner tonight we sat with a girl who is 10 and has been battling JM from the age of three. She has a number of complications and is still struggling. She was silent, withdrawn, and generally seemed totally beaten down. I recognized that look; I've observed it at times in Mielle. It was devastating to see this girl; I found myself wishing I could see her smile, just once. But she never did.

So tomorrow, the race isn't just for Mielle. It's also for this other child, and all the JM kids I've met this weekend. I'll keep them all top of mind and close to my heart as I run.

I'm not worried about the miles at all. A very unexpected turn of events; I used to be TERRIFIED at the thought of the miles. Rationally, I realize that it could turn out to be one of those hard runs, and if it is I'll just suck it up; I'm DOING it no matter what. But I feel so confident and at peace that it's going to be smooth, and wonderful. I'm just so excited that this day has finally come.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment